by Rosemary Goddard
- 250g well-drained, cooked beetroots, pureed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 300g caster sugar
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 225g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Prep:20min › Cook:25min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour one 20x30cm (9×13 in) or similar sized baking tin.
- In a large bowl, combine pureed beetroots, eggs, vanilla, oil and sugar. Mix with an electric mixer on low speed until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cocoa. Add to the creamed mixture, beating together well. Pour batter into prepared tin.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until done. Cool and frost with your favourite icing.
- 50g/1¾oz good-quality dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
- 100g/3½oz unsalted butter, softened
- 200g/7ozicing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- milk, to loosen
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (Do not allow the base of the bowl to touch the surface of the water.) Allow to cool until the chocolate no longer feels hot to the touch.
- Beat the butter in a bowl until soft, then gradually beat in the icing sugar. Add the vanilla extract and beat again.
- Fold in the melted chocolate until completely incorporated (add a few drops of milk if the mixture is a little stiff).
- This icing can be kept in the fridge for a few days. Bring to room temperature and beat again until smooth before icing your cake.